211 W. Chicago Ave., #109 Hinsdale, IL 60521

Dan Walker Law Office


Free initial consultation

Divorce Attorney

Recent Blog

  • You Need to Know About Child Support Modification in Illinois

    There are several reasons why you would want to modify....... (more…)

  • Helping Your Kids Cope Emotionally After A Divorce

    A divorce can be crushing for couples. While the adults....... (more…)

  • Child Guardianship and Power of Attorney in Illinois

    In Illinois, a legal guardian is an individual who is....... (more…)

  • Avoiding Probate in Estate Planning in Illinois

    If you want to ensure your family can access your....... (more…)

  • 3 Tips for Child-Focused Parenting Time

    According to the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act,....... (more…)

  • How to Establish Paternity in Illinois

    In divorce cases, children are the real victims and unfortunately,....... (more…)

  • Who Can Be a Guardian in Illinois for Minors During a Divorce Case?

    No two divorce cases are equal. While some may result....... (more…)

  • Your Guide to Selling a Home in Illinois

    Selling a home is the biggest financial decision you can....... (more…)

  • Common Questions and Answers about Divorce Laws in Illinois

    Divorce can break a family apart, but sometimes - it....... (more…)

  • What You Need to Know About Asset Division in Illinois

    One of the areas divorcing couples must reach an agreement....... (more…)

  • Seeking a Modification to Child Support Orders

    Providing a child support plan is an important requirement in....... (more…)

  • Using Co-Parenting as Part of Parenting Time

    After a divorce, the custody of a child and subsequent....... (more…)

  • Seeking a Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity

    As per the legal stature, Paternity is referred to as....... (more…)

  • Estate Planning as a Form of Insurance

    Real estate planning is something most people don't consider as....... (more…)

  • Differences Between Guardianship and Power of Attorney

    What is Guardianship? Guardianship is a court process that provides....... (more…)

  • All You Need to Know About Tenancy by the Entirety

    What is Tenancy by the Entirety? If you’re married and....... (more…)

  • Understanding Parenting Time under Illinois Family Law

    Divorce proceedings are challenging and unnerving for the entire family........ (more…)

  • Real Estate: Letter of Intent

    In many real estate transactions, a letter of intent may....... (more…)

  • Things to Know When Filing for a Same-Sex Divorce

    In 2015, the Supreme Court of the United States issued....... (more…)

  • 3 Ways a Real Estate Lawyer Can Help You during a Home Sale

    Selling a house is a massive undertaking which involves numerous....... (more…)

  • Unmarried Couple: How to Establish Paternity

    Unmarried parents face a multitude of challenges when they are....... (more…)

  • Asset Division in Illinois

    Divorces can be an emotionally distressing and a difficult period....... (more…)

  • Real Estate Laws Applicable to Guest Vs Tenants

    There are instances when a family member or friend is....... (more…)

  • How to Deal With Debt during Divorce

    Divorce is always difficult, despite being very common, it is....... (more…)

  • Common Myths about Real Estate Law

    Real Estate law is a field which encompasses every legal....... (more…)

  • Can Parenting Time Be Denied?

    Divorce may end the relationship between a husband and a....... (more…)

  • Real Estate Law 101

    Real estate law is a comprehensive field which encompasses a....... (more…)

  • Divorce – How to Make the Best Out of a Bad Situation

    Certainly, divorce is not something you expect to encounter in....... (more…)

  • Stand by Guardianship

    Usually, only a parent of a child has the responsibility....... (more…)

  • 4 Tips to Choose the Best Real Estate Lawyer

    If you or your loved one is looking to purchase....... (more…)

  • How Should I file Taxes if Divorce is not Final?

    Separating from your spouse is not an easy experience. You....... (more…)

  • Getting a Divorce – Learn about How College Expenses are Different from Child Support

    Divorce does not mean that you no longer support your....... (more…)

  • Major Changes Made to Illinois Child Custody Laws in 2016

    Prior to Senate Bill 57, the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution....... (more…)

  • Understanding the Parenting Time Schedule Basics in Illinois

    Many drastic changes have been made to the Illinois Marriage....... (more…)

  • Understanding the 2016 Changes to Illinois Divorce Laws

    In 2015, several amendments to the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution....... (more…)

  • Family Law Blog Coming Soon

    Stay tuned for recent news and articles on the changes....... (more…)

  • Real Estate Law Blog Coming Soon

    Stay tuned for recent news and articles on the changes....... (more…)

Who Can Be a Guardian in Illinois for Minors During a Divorce Case?

No two divorce cases are equal. While some may result in a happier family, others may leave the children out of the equation. Sadly, this can be the case if the court determines neither of the parents in a divorce case can take care of their children. In such cases, a court-appointed guardian is provided temporary custody of the children.

What Is a Court-Appointed Guardian?

In the state of Illinois, no court of law can take a child away from a parent who is willing and capable of taking care of them. However, if the child’s best interests and well being are at stake, someone other than the parent will be appointed for their care. This person will be a temporary guardian for the children

However, not just any person can act as their guardian. An individual can be appointed as a guardian only if both the parents:

  • Provide consent to the guardianship in court or via a written and signed document.
  • Failed to appear in a court hearing even after being given proper notice.
  • Relinquish physical custody of the children and are incapable of making decisions for their welfare on their behalf.
  • Is deemed by the court as incapable of making or carrying out decisions for the daily welfare of their children.

In the state of Illinois, the only way someone can be a guardian to a child is if they are appointed by the court. To be eligible, they have to be:

  • At least 18 years old or older.
  • U.S. residents.
  • Free of legal issues.
  • Free of felony convictions that can harm or threaten the children under their care.
  • Of sound mind.

(Certain private and public non-profit agencies are also eligible, but not residential facilities as they may violate the best interests of the children).

They have to undergo a process before they can be deemed eligible. Once they are appointed by the court, they must take care of the daily needs of the children, as well as their well-being. This includes ensuring they have a proper place to live in, food on the table, access to medical care and can continue their education. They should also have access to appropriate social activities, which can maintain their emotional and physical health.

A court-appointed guardian can do a lot more than an incapacitated parent can during a divorce case. If you want to be appointed as one, you need strong legal representation to be deemed eligible. This is where Dan Walker Law Office can help you. Our attorneys have more than 85 years of combined experience dealing with these issues and can aggressively represent you. This includes helping you understand the legal process as well as your rights and responsibilities as a temporary guardian.

Get in touch with us for a consultation today in Hinsdale, Illinois, before it is too late.

click to call